There's no such thing as good. There's just varying degrees of bad.
- That Jays-Phillies six-hour marathon seems like another strike against interleague play (although Roy Halladay pitching in relief was kind of novel). Normally, the game would have been called and rescheduled.
- There's no enjoy-it-while-it-lasts about the Yankees' nosedive (four games below .500). Cool Standings has them projected to finish 76-86, last in the AL East, with less than an 8% chance of making the playoffs.
- Carlos Delgado still has his sense of humour even though the Mets are sucking. It's either that or Jayson Werth rubbed him the wrong way during their short time together with the Jays.
ESPN showed the highlights from the Phillies-Blue Jays game from (Friday) night, when Jayson Werth homered in his first three at-bats, Delgado stood nearby watching. "Only one of us can hit four home runs in a game," he said. As Werth fouled out his fourth time up, Delgado said "sucker" and walked away.
- Some events are so cataclysmic that you're stunned into a delayed reaction. But enough about Reds manager Dusty Baker asking 6-foot-6, 250-lb. slugger to Adam Dunn to bunt in the ninth inning on Saturday.
(Dunn hit a 449-foot game-winning home run after failing to get the bunt down. Dusty Baker then told him, "Go home and tell your mom you're a flop."
Anyone who gets the reference is getting a church built in her/his honour.)
- The Red Sox have called up Bartolo Colón. A large gut feeling (there's no other kind when it's Bartolo) is that he's going to work out for the Bostons.
- It is somewhat sad to have actually noticed that the Jays' Triple-A team, the Syracuse Chiefs, are leading the IL wild-card race. If the Chiefs make the playoffs, this means J.P. Ricciardi is just as adept as John Ferguson Jr. at building a winner in the minors.
- Phillippe Aumont's pitching line yesterday in the Midwest League: 4 2/3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO with two wild pitches as he took the loss for Wisconsin. He's 19, it's going to happen. His ERA remains a tidy 1.07.
That's all for now.