A good friend became a parent the other day (congratulations!), but suffice to say it probably wasn't like this:
"A football-mad mother stunned hospital midwives by demanding to give birth wearing the strip of her favourite team. Jennifer Peaty astounded staff at Falkirk Royal Infirmary with her unusual request to get changed shortly after going into labour. Husband Kevan was on hand to help his wife into his favourite Falkirk Football Club shirt shortly before the birth of the couple's first son."Country star Carrie Underwood and the Senators' Mike Fisher are an item. She already recorded a fight song for Ottawa's playoff run. It's called Just A Dream.
(Yes, linking to the song to explain the joke is hacky, but someone'e ego could not handle having a overlap with Carrie Underwood's fanbase. Like Hank III said, the Grand Ole Opry ain't so grand any more.
The World Juniors finally ended. Those of us who like focusing on the 5% that's wrong with it instead of the 95% that's right feel strangely bereft. Talk about a Canadian conundrum. The International Ice Hockey Federation wants the tournament here every year and Canada doesn't.
This post is worth nothing, but this is worth noting
- One is more inclined to hope Dan Boyle, the San Jose Sharks d-man, can get another a Stanley Cup ring after hearing him talk about what he left behind in Tampa Bay:
"I remember back to 2004, to our championship run. An amazing time for all of us. People were excited in Tampa. Hockey mattered. That building really rocked. Now most nights it's half full. We were just a couple years removed from a Stanley Cup, and they blew it up. It's turned into a revolving door there.Tampa Bay Lightning owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie: Two more people Gary Bettman would rather deal with than Jim Balsillie.
"I guess it's only human nature to watch what's going on there, but it's not anything to gloat about. Nothing to take pleasure in.
- As you know, I do support Syracuse in college basketball, and Hoops Addict has them ranked No. 6 in the NCAA. Andy Rautins (Leo's son) is blossoming into a big-time scorer.
- Rod Marinelli, the same guy who presided over the Detroit Lions' 0-16 season, might end up becoming the defensive line coach with the Chicago Bears.
- TSN pretty much kicked CBC Sports around the block in the hockey ratings wars.
- Ottawa's Tyler Holmes starts for Tulsa vs. Ball State in tonight's GMAC Bowl (8 p.m. Eastern, The Score).