The league, which certainly has a vested interest in calling attention to Canadian-born and -bred talent, has started releasing a Top Ten list ranking the top amateur football players currently playing in the CIS. Cornell and Ukwuoma were both on the initial list released today, which you can ready after the jump.
The list is compiled by the CFL's amateur scouting bureau. It's always good just have some grist for the mill, and good on the league for calling attention to where many of the league's players are coming from -- especially the forever unsung offensive lineman. The University of Alberta's Simeon Rottier already looks good in green and gold, so it's not hard to imagine him wearing it for the Edmonton Eskimos.
The list is of players who are eligible for the league's combine next season, so a fifth-year player would not be considered:
- Simeon Rottier, offensive line, Alberta
- Matt Morencie, offensive line, Windsor
- Jamall Lee, running back, Bishop's
- Scott McHenry, slotback, Saskatchewan
- Étienne Légaré, defensive line, Laval
- Matt Carter, slotback, Acadia
- Steve Myddelton, offensive line, St. Francis Xavier
- Dylan Steenbergen, offensive line, Calgary
- Mike Cornell, outside linebacker, Ottawa
- Osie Ukwuoma, defensive end, Queen's
(Cross-posted to The CIS Blog.)