- The big GM firing in Seattle might hasten the end of Erik Bedard's turn with the Mariners.
By the way, I'd expect to see the team at least begin to shop Erik Bedard around starting right now. You don't have to deal him right away, but I don't see how he possibly fits into any long term plan. A contract extension would appear out of the question. He isn't exactly rushing to get one done. And the team, figuring out it's got a six-inning, 100-pitch "ace'' on its hands probably isn't in a rush to hand him the keys to the vault.
- Travis Snider's numbers down in Double-A bring a little sunshine into the darkness of a Jays June swoon.
Since May 1, the 20-year-old bright hope is hitting .314/.392/.545 for the Double-A team in New Hampshire (by guesstimate, this in about 180 times at a bat). His .937 OPS over six weeks is almost something you can draw hope from. Snider is just 20 years old, he had elbow surgery in the winter and he's playing in the pitcher-friendly Eastern League. No one's had an OPS above .937 in the Eastern League over a full season in each of the past two years.
- It's not just the battersbox.ca crowd who's noticed -- useful people have picked up on the fact another Fisher Cat, lefty-hitting second baseman Scott Campbell, has a .453 on-base percentage.
- This ESPN.com article from late last week about the top prospects in Latin America reaffirms how Rogers Communications is small-town cheap about the Jays' player development. Teams are starting to shell out the huge bonuses that used to only go to can't-miss Americans on teens from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. It's cheap at twice the price to give $2.5 million to a 17-year-old if the club might end up having Miguel Cabrera or Johan Santana for the first six years of his career. Rogers, though, would never go for that, although the article says they might have a deal in six-figure range with a shortstop.
- Professional hitter non grata Jay Gibbons has surfaced in the 'outlaw' Atlantic League.
Yao Ming is Really Tall Around Not so Tall Golfers
14 minutes ago