Sunday, June 01, 2008

Six degrees ain't just the overnight low in Ottawa

Check out the results from Event 19 at the Canadian high school rowing championships today in St. Catharines. For those of you keeping scoring at home, that's a 1-2-3 finish consisting of a boat from ol' high school (Allisha Campaigne and Meredith Papps from Ernestown, near Kingston), a pair from the current city of residence (Glenn Hay and Lindsay Heubner from Glebe Collegiate in Ottawa) and a crew from Port Dover, which falls under the old Simcoe Reformer beat.  

In the same vein,  high school track star Karelle Edwards set a meet record in the hurdles at the East Regionals last Friday — one week after a certain someone profiled her in the pages of the Ottawa Sun. Karelle erased a mark set in 2002 by a runner from, you guessed it, Napanee.

4 comments:

Jordie Dwyer said...

From all of these nostalgic comments Sager...you'd think you were old. LOL

Anonymous said...

Did you ride your Harley in Port Dover on Friday 13th??

sager said...

Man, by the time I got up on most Fridays, you couldn't get near Port Dover. I can claim to have silently cheered for their high school football team (since, like ESS, they were the smallest school in the league and also wore green), to have got drunk at the Erie Beach motel and to have hung out on the beach there because it was "too far" to drive out to Turkey Point.

Duane Rollins said...

FWIW, I was in Port Dover last July for a Friday the 13th (I was shooting photos for a local rag down that way). I don't ride, however. If I did, I'd likely be dead--I'm far too ADD to drive in things that aren't surrounded by metal.

I did watch the Canada/Austria u-20 game on TV in Port Dover last year. Even though I was the only person in the pub that cared one bit about the game they put it on the big screen for me and I had lots of locals asking me questions about Canadian soccer. It was a nice day. I'll have a soft spot forever for that beautiful little town because of it.

It's a 13th a week from Friday BTW. If you've never seen it...