- The New Yorker profiled Sean Avery; if that isn't a sign that the war's over -- low culture won.
Those erudite, always-last-picked liberals actually seem to get Avery pretty well. He is one Advanced A-Hole and if you don't find something appealing in his act, you're probably legally dead. (The noisy gongs and clattering cymbals on the cable sports networks can never acknowledge this, of course, since they need to make Sean Avery into a cartoon, fodder for their shrill little contrived so-called debates.)
There's a telling quote from the retired ref, Mick McGeough, that basically supports the theory that Avery, on some level, is actually brilliant.
"Is he an idiot? I don't think so. He's smart. He's doing his job. And he's tough. He gives no quarter. I've seen him in a T-shirt. He's big."Avery also wants to intern at Vogue now.
- It takes some doing to finish behind a team that's being relocated against the will of the people in ESPN The Magazine's Fan Satisfaction Survey, but the Leafs did it. Th hockey division of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan finished 121st of 122nd teams. Yep, behind the Seattle-cum-Oklahoma City Sonics.
The Senators were the highest of any Canadian team, at 29th, which just goes to show Ottawa fans are happiest when they're whining about something. (Link via Mirtle.)
- It's the 20th anniversary of both Bull Durham and Eight Men Out, two remarkably prescient baseball movies.
- Kissing Suzy Kolber has a bead on the Detroit Lions' draft broad -- all wide receivers, again?
- Major congrats to the Belleville Bulls -- off to the OHL final after thumping Oshawa 11-0 in the series clincher last night. Not too bad for their Eastern Ontario guys, goalie Mike Murphy and d-man Shawn Lalonde.
- Just doing some Tricolour rock 'n' roll duty -- the Queen's Golden Gaels are taking part in fundraiser called Golf 4 ALS. The Queen's coaches and players will be selling RCGA Golf Cards with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the ALS Society of Ontario. It sounds like a pretty good deal for golfers; fire off an e-mail if you want more info.
That's all for now. I'll be travelling today on business, so posting will be light until late tonight, and even then it's dodgy. Send your thoughts to email@example.com.