Sunday, April 22, 2007

THEY BRUISE EASILY IN BRANTFORD...

Brian Smiley, Brantford Expositor sports editor has no problem using a blog for information so long as it gives him a free pass. He just sent an e-mail in reference to last night's Lynx post, which was about John Axford, not him:

"Nice blog on Axford.

"What about my nickname? That's not very nice but I guess that's what blogging is all about, isn't it? I'd be a little more careful with that type of thing.

"Don't have much time. I've got REAL work to do."


We have cheerfully withdrawn the "Single Source" crack. Why? Because it's always good to be sensitive to someone's unique needs. In this case, Smiley has a need to take himself way, way too seriously. You don't like being called "Single Source" Smiley? How about quoting more than one person in your stories instead of taunting and threatening another writer?

Now, as it happens, Smiley sent another e-mail in the time this was drafted. He admitted "touché" when I pointed out he might not know a lot about blogging. After that, it got a little weird:

"How about you come check out my portfolio of stories, the actual job I do and my light saber — I'm sure I've got that over you in terms of size — and I'm certain you can find another nickname for me."

Light saber?! .... in terms of size?I? What does that even mean? Does it mean I'm a huge dork (possibly true, but I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since I was seven), or is it a sexual comment? Either way, you would think Expositor management would expect better from someone who represents their paper, and publisher Mike Pearce has been duly informed.

Smiley has sent e-mail taunts before. The first time, it was from a work account on the very day I learned that I had been passed over for a job at a paper in the same media chain as the Brantford paper. If that's how he wants to be, that's his journey; I'm not depending on his ilk for anything in this life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he was pretty obviously coming on to you. Dude wants you to come check out his cock.

Also, the fucking guy works in Brantford. What the hell do they write about in the sports section there that would keep such a man so busy? "Wayne Gretzky - Still Born Here"

DCScrap said...

Well he told you. I guess?