Thursday, April 26, 2007

SO MUCH MORE THAN A 'TRANSSEXUAL SPORTSWRITER,' NO DOUBT

This lends new meaning to the phrase "new face in the newsroom." Mike Penner, a long-time L.A. Times sports columnist, disclosed in a column today that he is a transsexual and is embarking on a sex change and continued life as Christine Daniels.

Like myself, you might not know much about transsexualism, but the least one can do is try to understand. The writer's final column penned as Mike Penner even expressed hope that no longer being conflicted over sexuality might lead to fewer breakouts of writer's block at deadline. So don't dismiss it or laugh it at out of hand -- the sensible thing seems to be wish the future Christine Daniels good luck. Life is hard enough without people going around slapping labels on someone and focusing on one element of their makeup instead of what they can do. To be honest, just the thought of the future Christine Daniels appearing on CNN with the on-screen graphic "transsexual sportswriter" is irritating enough since obviously this individual is so much more than that, but some people won't be able to get past the label.

That's not being PC -- that's having simple human charity, one would hope. I wouldn't expect a smooth transition if something similar happened in a newsroom I worked in, but it would be on me to change. Penner said his boss is cool with it and so are some jock buddies, so there is hope for the sports world yet.

As the final Penner column puts it:

"A transgender friend provided the best and simplest explanation I have heard: We are born with this, we fight it as long as we can, and in the end it wins.

"I gave it as good a fight as I possibly could. I went more than 40 hard rounds with it. Eventually, though, you realize you are only fighting yourself and your happiness and your mental health -- a no-win situation any way you look at it."


Seems pretty logical. We wish Christine Daniels luck.

Thanks to loyal reader Dan Rowe for the link. That's all for now. Send your thoughts to neatesager@yahoo.ca.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sager,

What a wonderful commentary. There IS hope for this world. As a woman who was born with the birth defect known as transsexualism I sought treatment and medical intervention many, many years ago. It turned my life around. Though I was fired from my job immediately after "coming out" at work and it was difficult to get work during the transition process, I now live a completely fulfilled life. I am at peace with myself and with my God.

Christine Daniels may be correct when she assesses that she may be a better writer afterward. I was fairly successful before transition but afterward I became a much more complete human being. I went from being a shy, introverted person to being a vivacious, outgoing woman who embraces life and people with a passion I never knew before; active in my church and in the political arena. I, like you, wish her the best as she pursues a new life as the woman she was born to be.

Kelli

p.s.- Due to the widespread negative connotation of the term "transsexual" and since true transsexualism is a medical condition, there is a an effort to rename it HBS....... Harry Benjamin Syndrome, for the Doctor responsible for bringing our condition out of the dark ages