Tuesday, January 16, 2007

LEAFS LIGHT UP THE LIGHTNING

Co-Blogger Neil Acharya weighs in following the Leafs' big 4-2 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning.

ROAD TRIP! Can you feel my excitement! After tonight you may know why. I only saw the third period but that was the best 20 minutes I have seen the Leafs play all year. They were driven, made sound passes in sound break out plays and you just knew they were gonna get one sooner or later. This reminds me of the Leaf team that I saw last year when J.S. Aubin won his first of many in New Jersey and Sundin played his best hockey as a Leaf.

Every night before I go to bed I turn on the Fan 590 and fall asleep to it, which means I also wake up to it. Today I heard plenty of people calling in, blow up the Leafs, trade Sundin, trade Tucker, Kilger sucks, et cetera.

The Leafs have not played consistently since Nov. 24 when they pounded Washington 7-1 (yes, I am aware they beat Boston twice, outscoring the Bruins 15-3). There's no excuses for their poor play as of late, injuries or not, they just haven't played a complete game up until tonight.

However, I do not find it any excuse to call in and say things such as trading Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft was a dumb move and how do they know Justin Pogge won't be the bust?
I will argue that yes, the Leafs and their fans, should expect a lot of their teams... but please people, expect a lot from yourselves. If you are gonna call in and say the trade is stupid, say why. If you want to trade Mats Sundin, say why and who you want for him and what direction you want the team to go.

In the case of trading Rask I am actually impressed that a) the Leafs had two young prospects in the system that they could look to move b) They got a former rookie of the year who has a lot of game left in him and c) even if Raycroft plays just good, isn't that enough to hold even the most bloodthirsty Leaf fan until Pogge can play. I mean get real, did you want Mikael Tellqvist and Aubin to be your starters this year, please think a little.

I am also impressed with the play of Bates Battaglia, Boyd Devereaux and Chad Kilger.
Jeff O'Neill has also come on strong as of late.

What was amazing to see as well was some true emotion from the many Leafs fans in attendance, especially those behind the glass just behind the Leafs bench, as coach Paul Maurice took a timeout, they could be seen pounding on the glass pointing at their sweaters and holding the 1 sign to the players. At the end of the game, their leafs fans could be seen standing and clapping all along the lower bowl along the glass -- it reminds me of how loud Leafs Nation can get -- when playing in Buffalo.

Tonight's win has me encouraged and enthused and you may think its premature, I said last week they need to win six of the next eight games and they have gone 2-1 since, but I have a feeling that the Leafs are long overdue for some solid consistent hockey. Buckle me in.

Catch Neil Acharya Thursday night at 6 p.m. on Rogers Community Cable 10 in the GTA doing colour commentary for a junior hockey game between the Toronto Jr. Canadiens and Markham Waxers.

No comments: