Friday, November 17, 2006

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON... TANGLED UP IN BLOG

The proper thing to do is to apologize for being a little dramatic earlier (chronic depression will do that). If there was time for it, I'd skewer myself by doing a Top 5 of sports' short-lived retirements. (How many times did Michael Jordan retire, anyways?)

The former big-league pitcher Bill (Spaceman) Lee , who is a patron saint of Out of Left Field since he was a screwball and an outsider, would have to be on that Top 5. Lee once walked out on the Boston Red Sox to protest the trade of his friend Bernie Carbo, came back the next day, paid a $533 fine (big money for 1978), and asked the Sox to make it $1,500 so he could have the weekend off. What else would you expect from a guy who another one of my true heroes, Warren Zevon, immortalized in lyric?

To borrow from the title of Lee's memoir, sometimes I worry I have The Wrong Stuff. There's also a dichotomy between perceiving msyelf as a bloggin' hero and a professional zero, and I have to learn to look at that situation differently.

(Well, there's your problem, Sager: All your pop-culture references are from the 1970s and you use words like "dichotomy" that are left over from your first-year poli sci class 10 years ago.)

Bottom line, I'm sorry for wiggin' there earlier, and rest assured, while I might post a little less frequently over the next little while as Neil Acharya and I try to figure out the best way to present our takes, we are in for the long haul.

Related:
Bill Lee career statistics (Baseball-Reference.com)
Bill Lee Wikipedia page
Warren Zevon Wikipedia page

That's all for now. Send your thoughts to neatesager@yahoo.ca.