Sunday, June 04, 2006

TOMMY LASORDA UPDATE

We can close the book on the Tommy Lasorda mystery that kept me up until 6 a.m. (No fooling, 6 a.m.)

Everyday Joe had a post on it that never questioned the date. That got picked up by Deadspin (don't worry, I have many other things to be bitter about). A commenter using the obscure pseudonym soon claimed the rant, indeed, did come after the Cubs-Dodgers game on May 14, 1978.

I e-mailed The Canadian Press sports desk just now, and it turns out -- and this escaped my attention since it was a busy night on the desk -- that later last night CP issued an advisory telling members to disregard the article since "the premise of the story is incorrect."

Still, it's weird how Lasorda's recollection synchs up with May 14/78, yet everything I found on the web puts the quote at June 4/76. Even Lasorda's Wikipedia page does, but it also says he didn't become Dodgers manager until Sept. 29, 1976.

It's a sign of the times that I, being too young to have been close to it (born in '77), couldn't really say one way or the other, unless I wanted to start calling up random veteran sportswriters I don't know at 3:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning. To use a Blue Rodeo lyric, The more I know, the less I understand.

And sorry, I'm not done with my fact-checkin' fun...
  • Gotta tread carefully here since I do work for the same big happy family: The Edmonton Sun's Terry Jones has a column referring to Carolinians' passion for hoops, noting, "North Carolina, under the winningest college basketball coach in history, Mike Smith ..." Is he talking about Dean's dad?
  • The Toronto Star ran a wire story about Dwayne Roloson's hockey roots in that refers to another Simconian who made the NHL as Jason Cullimore. It's Jassen Cullimore. And this is the type of stuff you learn when you serve as the Simcoe Reformer sports editor: fellow Norfolk County NHLer Nelson Emerson played his minor hockey in Waterford, about a 10-minute drive away.

Thus concludes my "Angry Jerk" period. Off to watch the Blue Jays. It's already 2-0. Do we dare use that that word that starts with S, rhymes with "weep"?

No comments: