Monday, May 12, 2008

Fish. Barrel. You know the rest.


I’m not mush of a MSM basher—I’ve worked inside the newsroom of a couple daily newspapers and will likely do so again one day (assuming the entire industry doesn’t collapse in he meantime). However, every so often a column jumps out at you that is just begging to be made fun of.

And, with the benefit of hindsight on my side, I think it’s time to revisit this beauty by the KW Record’s Al Coates.

I’m sure Mr. Coates is a fine individual and an outstanding member of the tri-city community. I’m also sure that he is a solid community journalist that understands and appreciates the value of sport, while keeping it in the proper perspective. But, all that didn’t stop him from going all New York Post on the entire community of Belleville and its junior hockey team last week. That perspective thing goes out the window when you’re busy planning the OHL championship parade route, I guess.

I can’t wait to read the follow-up column if the Bulls finish the job tonight!

Note: If you are in Eastern Ontario tonight and looking for an authentic junior hockey experience, you my want to head on down to the Yardman Arena in Belleville where the Bulls have arranged a free screening of game 7 on the arena scoreboard.

Or, you can get your butt to the game itself in Kitchener. Tickets go on sale at noon and may be purchased by phone at 519-578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, on line at www.centre-square.com or in person at The Aud box office. I'm already warming my dialing fingers up...

4 comments:

Dennis Prouse said...

I believe the word you are looking for here is, "karma". I realize the fellow was just trying to capture the spirit of the thing, as Dickie Dunn would say, but surely he owed the readers a bit better than to write a piece that looks to have been lifted from the Booster Club's newsletter. I had no dog in this fight previously, but now I really want Belleville to win, just to see what this guy might write.

Then again, shame seems to be in short supply in some sports departments - just look at Don Brennan, who just kept on truckin' after suggesting in print that a Senator player should go Bobby Clarke on Crosby's ankle.

sager said...

Ssssshhhhh ... someone here works in that sports department.

It's funny, in the pre-Google era it was standard to send the star columnist to the opposing city and send back a column describing it as hellish ... "The food's terrible." ... "The women look like men." ... "They roll up the sidewalks at 7 p.m." The Star or the Sun would send Rosie DiManno or Christy Blatchford to cover a small-town murder trial and they'd kvetch about how they had to drive all over this jerkwater burg looking for their brand of cigarettes.

It really should have died out long ago ... the best city is the one you're living in right now. It's admirable the way some writers are keeping this old rubric alive.

Duane Rollins said...

Having lived in KW for about 10-years...I'm not sure how anyone there gets off making fun of the lack of action in other cities. Don't get me wrong, I love KW, but...it ain't downtown T.O. on a Saturday night.

And you ain't ever partied until you've gone drinking on North Front Street, Bellevegas! The city that doesn't sleep (outside of 10p.m.-5 a.m. weeknight and 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. weekends, that is).

Rob Pettapiece said...

Having lived in KW for about 10-years...I'm not sure how anyone there gets off making fun of the lack of action in other cities.

So true. I mean, if Mr. Coates prefers to spend his Saturdays at Club Abstract, more power to him, but Belleville's like 10 minutes away from a provincial park with real beaches and everything. Kitchener is 10 minutes away from Breslau.