Thursday, December 06, 2007

THEY HAD NAMES, YOU KNOW

Not to get preachy about it, but please take a moment today, it doesn't have to be politicized, and think about Geneviève Bergeron, Hélène Colgan, Nathalie Croteau, Barbara Daigneault, Anne-Marie Edward, Maud Haviernick, Maryse Laganière, Maryse Leclair, Anne-Marie Lemay, Sonia Pelletier, Michèle Richard, Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz, Annie Turcotte and Annie St. Arneault. It is odd how if you go on Wikipedia, there's so much more information about their destroyer than there is about them.

How much potential was lost on Dec. 6, 1989? Just think about those 14 lives, in the context of the world we're shaping.

1 comment:

JB3 said...

Neate:

This is a brilliant post on the tragedy of Dec6, 1989. I remember being at home, just having turned 15-years of age and Peter Mansbridge coming on the CBC to do his 8 pm news tease for the National... Except - it wasn't the nightly tease.

I remember the overwhelming sadness as i watched the images unfold in front of my eyes. I went downstairs and stayed up late that night with my parents ... and all I could think of was how I wanted to cry and reach out and want to bring back these inconnues.

I am glad that you brought up the pathetic irony about that day.