Saturday, February 24, 2007

RAPTORS: SPORTS GUY KIND OF GETS IT

This seems more fun to talk about than last night's easy 110-88 waltz over the Whiter Shade of Pacers: It looks like Raptors fans have got inside Bill Simmons' head.

Our dynasty in utero was the only team to get an A+ in The Sports Guy's latest NBA report card.

"Now here's a guy who knows what he's doing: Bryan Colangelo. And yes, I'm quietly rooting for the Raps, who have the most rabid fans of anyone in the league. I get at least five angry e-mails every day from Toronto about (A) the fact that I dismissed their playoff chances two months ago (you're right, it was a mistake), (B) the fact that I killed them for taking Andrea Bargnani over Adam Morrison (you're right, big mistake, Bargnani is good with a nasty streak), and (C) the fact that I killed them for the T.J. Ford-Charlie Villanueva trade (the jury's still out on that one). You can stop e-mailing me. I like your team. I was wrong. OK? I was wrong!"

Damn, but it was sweet to read that, even if Simmons lays it on a bit thick and it's unclear if actually learn from underestimating the Raptors. Bargnani's been great, but he seems to lack an edge at times. Scott Carefoot of RaptorBlog pointed out that there was a recent game where he played 31 minutes and didn't get a single rebound.

He had five boards in his first six minutes of floor time last night, and the Raptors blew out the Whiter Shade of Pacers with a barrage of three-pointers. It's satisfying to see them put a team away early for a change.

Previous:
The Great Raptor Redesign: At Least Simmons Knows Bargnani's Name Now... (Feb. 9)
"Now We're No. 14!" (Dec. 2, 2006)

That's all for now. Send your thoughts to neatesager@yahoo.ca.

No comments: